Brain Canada-Kids Brain Health Network Training Awards (Developmental Neurosciences Research)
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Brain Canada and Kids Brain Health Network have partnered together to offer predoctoral and postdoctoral training awards in developmental neurosciences. The awards will be made to outstanding predoctoral and postdoctoral fellows undertaking a program of research training that incorporates original research into the origins, early detection and effective treatment of disorders of brain development.
Predoctoral Fellowships: up to $30,000 per year for a maximum funding term of two years, plus an additional $5,000 per year career development supplement
Postdoctoral Fellowships: up to $50,000 per year for a maximum funding term of two years, plus an additional $5,000 per year career development supplement
Brain Canada will match on a 1:1 basis the funds put forward by eligible institutional sponsors to fund each training award. For these awards, primary eligible sponsors include research institutions, hospitals and health-care organizations. Other eligible sponsors include provincial government agencies and ministries, for-profit enterprises, individual donors, charitable organizations, or any other entities, including foreign entities or organizations that receive 50% or less of their funding from the Government of Canada. Examples of ineligible source of funding would be a grant funded by a federal government granting council such as CIHR.
INSTRUCTIONS TO POTENTIAL UofT APPLICANTS:
Proof of Match Funding and Supervisor/Departmental Commitment: Potential applicants should speak to their Supervisor(s) and/or departments to identify appropriate match funding. Once that has been secured, applicants need a Letter of Support from their supervisor/department. This letter should:
- Confirm that the applicant has been vetted (or approved) to submit an application for this competition. Vetting requires confirmation that the applicant meets the eligibility requirements on page 5 and 6 of Brain Canada’s application instructions.
- State which award the applicant will apply for (Pre or Postdoctoral).
- Describe the academic program through which the applicant is applying.
- Confirm the source of the match funds, including the U of T fund/CFC if applicable.
- State the amount being committed to the applicant for this competition.
- Predoctoral Fellows can have up to $17,500 in matched support (so that their award equals the maximum funding of a $30,000 annual stipend award plus the required $5,000 per year career development supplement).
- Postdoctoral Fellows can have up to $27,500 in matched support (so that their award equals the maximum funding of a $50,000 annual stipend award plus the required $5,000 per year career development supplement).
Letters need to be signed by the Applicant’s Supervisor and Department Chair/representative.
MRA: Applicants should request an MRA from their supervisor, and their Supervisor/Departmental Letter of Support described above (with the signature of their Supervisor and Departmental Chair/representative) should be attached to that MRA for Institutional review (simultaneously, all applicants should inform the University of Toronto Research Services Office of their intention to apply for this award, and the Letter of Support should be forwarded to Mark Bold, Research Funding Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org).
June 20, 2017: The deadline for potential UofT applicants and their supervisor(s) to have a finalized Supervisor/Departmental Letter of Support and to submit MRAs.
June 30, 2017: The deadline for the University to submit its commitment letter to Brain Canada confirming the number of predoctoral and postdoctoral fellowship award applicants. Research Services will inform applicants whether they can proceed with submitting a full application.
August 15, 2017: Final deadline for full applications to Brain Canada.
For more information, including the Request for Application (which includes applicant eligibility information), please visit the Brain Canada website at: http://braincanada.ca/en/current_funding_opportunities.
Research Funding Administrator
email@example.com | 416-978-2495
More Information for Researchers
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: The Energy Innovation Program-Next Generation Clean Energy Infrastructure – Call for Expressions of Interest
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada: Personnel Award Programs
- J. P. Bickell Foundation: J.P. Bickell Foundation – Annual Medical Research Program Grants
- Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research: Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research: Strategic Grants – Call for Proposals
- Semiconductor Research Corp. (SRC): Semiconductor Research Corp. (SRC): GRC Call for White Papers in Nanomanufacturing Materials and Processes