Notice: The RIS Application Attachment form (aka Blue form) has been replaced by the on-line My Research Applications. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your Employee Self-Serve (ESS) or My Research On-Line (MROL) credentials. If you encounter problems please contact the RAISE help desk, (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca). Please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information.
Connection Grants support events and activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization intiatives, including workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums and summer institutes.
- Events may be face-to-face or involve virtual interaction, and may be one-time encounters or catalysts designed to lead to longer-term partnerships and/or sustained programs of scholarly research. Face-to-face events may be held abroad; the applicant must adequately explain the event’s potential to mobilize Canadian research on an international level.
- Outreach activities must be designed to engage the broader public in humanities and social sciences knowledge through one or more of the following: knowledge dissemination, transfer, brokering, translation, synthesis, exchange, networking or co-creation.
Applications should be made using the Individual Connection Grant form; the form and instructions are available on the SSHRC website.
Proposed events and activities must generally take place within 12 months of the date indicated on the notification of award. Results of an application will normally be announced within 16 weeks from SSHRC’s confirmation of receipt. Although applications can be submitted at any time, funding decisions and announcements are made quarterly: June, September, December and March, and SSHRC will not award funds for activities which have taken place before the funding decision is made.
Connection Grants Competition Timelines:
|Last date to accept applications||Panel meets||Start date of award|
|February 1st||March 31st||April 1st|
|May 1st||June 30th||July 1st|
|August 1st||September 30th||October 1st|
|November 1st||December 31st||January 1st|
Please note: Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals well in advance of the dates specified above.
Connections Grant now have a one year automatic extension.
Applicants must secure cash/in-kind commitments which total at least 50% of the amount requested from SSHRC. If any commitments are from UofT units, it should be noted in the MRA form that the proposal involves a contribution from the university to direct costs.
Applicants must submit their applications online via the SSHRC website and submit a My Research- Application form. The MRA form replaces the old RIS form, and is available at https://ppm-wd.utoronto.ca/irj/portal. Research Services will give the application an administrative review, and if the application receives institutional approval, will forward it electronically to SSHRC.
Please note: Submitting your online application means you are ready for Research Services to give it institutional approval and forward your proposal to SSHRC. Research Services will not review the content of your application but will verify your eligibility to hold a research grant at UofT, and that of any UofT co-applicants. UTRS will return applications only to those who do not meet the University’s criteria to hold a research grant. If you have questions about the Connection Grants funding opportunity, please contact Research Services prior to your submission.
Research Funding Officer, Social Sciences & Humanities
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7324
More Information for Researchers
- Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO): Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario – RFP – Sessional, PT and Partial Load Faculty at Ontario Colleges
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC): NSERC Strategic Network Grants
- IC-IMPACTS: IC-IMPACTS call for proposals: India-Canada Cooperative Science Programme
- Ontario Centres of Excellence: Ontario Centres of Excellence – Call for Expressions of Interest for Alberta-Ontario Innovation Program Round 2
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Sharing Big Data for Biomedical Discovery: Advancing the Objectives of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health