Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Connection Grants support events and activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization intiatives, including workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums and summer institutes.
- Events may be face-to-face or involve virtual interaction, and may be one-time encounters or catalysts designed to lead to longer-term partnerships and/or sustained programs of scholarly research. Face-to-face events may be held abroad; the applicant must adequately explain the event’s potential to mobilize Canadian research on an international level.
- Outreach activities must be designed to engage the broader public in humanities and social sciences knowledge through one or more of the following: knowledge dissemination, transfer, brokering, translation, synthesis, exchange, networking or co-creation.
Applications should be made using the Individual Connection Grant form; the form and instructions are available on the SSHRC website.
Proposed events and activities must generally take place within 12 months of the award start date. Although applications can be submitted at any time, funding decisions and announcements are made quarterly as described in the table below, and SSHRC will not award funds for activities which have taken place before the funding decision is made. Connections Grant now have a one year automatic extension beyond the one-year grant period.
Connecting for Canada’s 150th: for events which mark and celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017, available in the August and November 2016 and February 2017 rounds. See details and specific requirements on the SSHRC Canada’s 150th webpage
Connection Grants Competition Timelines
IMPORTANT: SSHRC receives the application when it is given online approval by Research Services, not the date it is submitted by the applicant. Please observe the internal deadline to ensure that all necessary approvals are in place to enable Research Services to forward the application to SSHRC by the sponsor deadline.
|Internal deadline||Sponsor deadline||Decision date||Award start date|
|January 30||February 1||March 31||April 1|
|April 27||May 1||June 30||July 1|
|July 27||August 1||September 30||October 1|
|October 28||November 1||January 8||January 1|
Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals well in advance of the deadline. An applicant may only apply for one Connection Grant in a calendar year.
NOTE: Applicants must secure cash/in-kind commitments from other sponsoring organizations which total at least 50% of the amount requested from SSHRC. If any commitments are from UofT units, it should be noted in the MRA form that the proposal involves a contribution from the university to direct costs.
Internal deadline to receive MRA – noon, Friday, October 28, 2016:
- MRA: approved MRA must be received by Research Services (MRA may take several days for divisional approval, please submit well in advance). The MRA should include a draft proposal, finalized budget amount, and copies of letters of support for UofT institutional commitments.
Internal deadline to submit online application – noon, Monday, October 31, 2016:
- Completed application: applicant must submit completed SSHRC application via SSHRC site.
For applications submitted on the SSHRC site by Monday, October 31, for which an MRA has been submitted as above, Research Services will give the application an administrative review, and if the application receives institutional approval, will forward it electronically to SSHRC by the sponsor deadline.
Please note: Submitting your online application means you are ready for Research Services to give it institutional approval and forward your proposal to SSHRC. Research Services will not review the content of your application but will verify your eligibility to hold a research grant at UofT, that of any UofT co-applicants, and any institutional commitments. UTRS will return applications only to those who do not meet the University’s criteria to hold a research grant. If you have questions about the Connection Grants funding opportunity, please contact Research Services well in advance of the internal deadline.
SSHRC will offer webinars on the Connection Grant via Adobe Connect:
Connection Grants (English)
- Monday, November 7, 2016 , 12:00-14:00 ET
Connection Grants (French)
- Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 12:00-14:00 ET
Please note that you do not need to register in advance and a question and answer period will follow the presentation. With Adobe Connect, questions must be submitted in writing.
To join via Adobe Connect:
- Click on the Adobe Connect webinar link on the date and time specified.
- Enter your name, and press “Enter”.
- Adjust the volume on your computer.
First time attending an Adobe Connect meeting? Test your connection: http://nsercofcanada.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
Slides from the SSHRC webinar presentation on 24 November 2015 are here: SSHRC Connections Grant webinar 2015 slides.
Research Funding Officer, Social Sciences & Humanities
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7324
More Information for Researchers
- Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC): Dairy Farmers of Canada: 2016 Nutrition Research Funding Program – Call for LOIs
- University of Louisville: 2017 Grawemeyer Award for Ideas Improving World Order
- : 2018 Francis Bacon Award in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology
- Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO): Invitation for Expressions of Interest – HEQCO Learning Outcomes Assessment Consortium (LOAC) II
- Imperial Oil: Imperial Oil – University Research Awards Program Call for Applications