Discovery Grant – Northern Research Supplement
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Discovery Grants Northern Research Supplements (NRS) Program recognizes the added logistical costs unique to conducting research in the Canadian North. You apply for the Northern Research supplement at the same time you apply for an NSERC Discovery Grant. NSERC will consider supplementing your Discovery Grant by an additional $10,000-$25,000 to cover these costs.
Useful Resource Materials:
Additional Deadline Notes
The UofT Internal Deadline is 5:00pm October 25, 2016. UofT applicants must submit their application electronically, via MRA by the internal deadline.
STEP 1: Ensure that you are NSERC-eligible. If in doubt about your eligibility or your eligibility to hold a grant at the University of Toronto, please consult your department chair.
STEP 2: Although NSERC no longer requires original signatures on applications and other documents submitted online, applicants MUST still obtain internal approvals from their departments before their applications are e-approved by Research Services. Applicants to all NSERC Grant Programs MUST submit the following documents to Research Services on or before the specified internal deadlines as these will be the basis for e-approving the online application:
- Completed My Research Application (MRA) with all required attachments (Form 100 and 101) and approvals from your unit head or one-up, Vice Deans-Research, Vice Principal (UTM/UTSC) and/or Dean and/or Hospital Research Head, where applicable.
- Any additional documentation required to support your eligibility (i.e., letter of appointment).
*The MRA approval process should be started well in advance of the internal deadline as it can take multiple business days to complete the approval process*
**Please note if you hold a “Status Only” or “Emeritus” appointment, you will need to request an MRA account to be established**
For co-applicants from other universities/institutions: Attach to your MRA a signed copy of Form 101 page 2 (Co-applicant’s page), showing the signature(s) of their university representatives.
For UofT researchers who are co-applicants on other institutions’ applications: Submit an MRA and attach page 2 of Form 101.
* NSERC requires that the lead university obtain approval from the other institutions involved in the application process prior to submission.
STEP 3: Complete your application on NSERC’s On-line System. When it is final and complete, submit by clicking the “Submit to RGO” button. Do this by 5:00pm on the internal deadline date indicated above. Submitting your final application to Research Services means you are ready to submit it to NSERC. Research Services will then e-approve your application, which will be automatically transmitted to NSERC. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt from NSERC.
Research Funding Officer, Natural Sciences & Engineering
email@example.com | (416) 946-7517
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)