Discovery Grants (Individual & Sub-Atomic Physics (SAP))
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
***The NSERC Discovery Grant program will be accepting applications in the fall (Discovery Grant competition is open for those researchers that have submitted a Notice of Intent to Apply by August 2, 2017). Please note that RSO will be offering information sessions for the upcoming deadlines for both Discovery Grant and RTI competition. These sessions will cover the program requirements, eligibility requirements, changes for this year’s competition, evaluation criteria and proposal development. These sessions will also include guest speakers (committee member or a successful applicant) who will outline details in the application and evaluation process.
The sessions will be held on the following dates and locations:
Thursday September 7, 2017 1:00 p.m.- 4:00 pm
Location – OISE OI 5170 , 252 Bloor St W, Toronto
Guest Speaker – Dr. Deepa Kundur
RSVP – Joanna Baylon, RFA, Research Services; 416-978-2525, Joanna.email@example.com
Tuesday September 19, 2017 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Location – Room 3129-DV, Davis Building , 3359 Mississauga Road North
Guest Speaker – Dr. Angela Lange
RSVP – Carla DeMarco, Communications & Grants Manager, UTM: 905-828-5343;firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday September 13, 2017 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m
Guest Speakers- Lisa Jeffrey; George Arhonditsis
Location – TBD 1265 Military Trail, Room MW 324
RSVP –, Shaun Young, PhD Research Administration Officer, Office of the Vice Principal, Research UTSC; 416-208-5171; email@example.com***
Discovery Grants support ongoing programs of research (with long-term goals) rather than a single short-term project or collection of projects. There is no limit on the dollar value applicants request in their application, however, the requested amount must be fully justified in the proposal.
This year again NSERC Early Career Researchers will have an Option for Discovery Grant Extension with Funds
- NSERC has introduced an extension option for Early Career Researchers (ECR) coming up for their first renewal. An ECR renewing for the first time will have an option of extending the grant for one year with the current level of funding. NSERC will contact each eligible recipient directly with instructions.
- NSERC has also introduced a pilot project (effective March 1, 2016) for primary caregivers who decline parental leave. Researchers may be eligible to receive one year grant extension with funding (DG grants), additional information can be found on the NSERC website.
Please note that we will be holding an information session for NOI Stage on Tuesday July 18, 2017 from 2pm to 4pm in Room 6 (Imperial Oil Room), C. David Naylor Building, 6 Queen’s Park Crescent West. Please RSVP by July 14th, 2017 to Joanna Baylon, RFA, Research Services; 416-978-2525, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines and Application Process
Discovery Grants-Individual, Team and Sub-Atomic Physics (Less than $500K per year) involve a two-step process, which includes:
1) Notice of Intent (August 1, 2017) and 2) Full Application(November 1, 2017).
Internal Deadline (October 25, 2017) – Submit the following to Research Services on or before the specified internal deadline of 5:00PM October 25, 2017:
- Completed My Research Application (MRA) with all required attachments (application and CCV) and approvals from your unit head or one-up, Vice Deans-Research, Vice Principal (UTM/UTSC) and/or Dean and/or Hospital Research Head, where applicable.
- Any additional documentation required to support your eligibility (i.e., letter of appointment).
*The MRA approval process should be started well in advance of the internal deadline as it can take multiple business days to complete the approval process*
**Please note if you hold a “Status Only” or “Emeritus” appointment, you will need to request an MRA account to be established**
Sponsor Deadline (November 1, 2017) – Submit your application through NSERC’s Research Portal no later than 11:00 AM November 1, 2017 (Please note: Submitting after 1:00 PM may reduce our ability to submit your application to NSERC by the 8pm deadline):
- Once application is finalized and completed, link you CCV to your application and verify.
- Submit to Research Services by clicking on the “Submit” button.
- Once received by Research Services, your application will be approved and submitted to NSERC
Additional information about using the Research Portal and the CCV for the Discovery Grant competition can be found on NSERC’s website at: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/ResearchPortal-PortailDeRecherche/Instructions-Instructions/DG-SD_eng.asp
Research Funding Officer, Natural Sciences & Engineering
email@example.com | (416) 946-7517
More Information for Researchers
- Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique (FNRS)\National Fund for Scientific Research - Belgium: 2018 Baillet Latour Health Prize
- : Simons Early Career Investigator in Marine Microbial Ecology and Evolution
- France-Canada Research Fund: The France-Canada Research Fund 2018
- BioFuelNet Canada (BFN): Biofuelnet Canada (BFN) – Agri-Science Cluster: Call for Expression Of Interest
- : Japan Technology Group: Call for Research Proposals – IMMUNOLOGY area