2018 Fields Medal
The Fields Medal is awarded every four years on the occasion of the International Congress of Mathematicians to recognize outstanding mathematical achievement for existing work and for the promise of future achievement. The Fields Medal is the highest academic award for mathematicians and is often referred as the “Nobel Prize” for mathematics.
Nominations for the 2018 Fields Medal close on December 31, 2016.
A candidate’s 40th birthday must not occur before January 1st of the year of the Congress at which the Fields Medals are awarded. The Fields Medal Committee is chosen by the Executive Committee of the International Mathematical Union and is normally chaired by the IMU President. The Committee is asked to choose at least two, with a strong preference for four, Fields Medalists representing a diversity of mathematical fields.
To discuss a possible nomination, please approach the awards director or coordinator for your division, or advise the contact below of your interest.
Manager, University Awards & Honours
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7905
This database lists major national and international awards only. For a more comprehensive listing of awards across disciplines and for all stages of the career, please visit the COS Pivot database when logged into the U of T system. In the advanced search, select “Prizes and Awards” as the funding type.
If you intend to submit a nomination, please notify the award contact as soon as possible. The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation offers guidance on submitting awards nominations, in collaboration with divisional offices and affiliated institutions. In some cases, an internal competition will be held to select an institutional nominee.
More Information for Researchers
- European Consortium for Political Research, International Social Science Council: 2017 Stein Rokkan Prize for Comparative Social Science Research
- Mitacs: Mitacs: RISE-Globalink Undergraduate Research Internship Opportunity with Germany
- Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC): Dairy Farmers of Canada Call for Proposals – Dairy Research Cluster 3 (2018-2023)
- Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO): HEQCO Call for Proposals – Post-Secondary Education participation and Household Income
- : 2018 Centres of Excellence for Commercialization and Research (CECR) Program Competition – Call for Letters of Intent