Foundation Grant : 2017-2018
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Registration Deadline – August 08, 2017
Stage 1 Application deadline (ResearchNet) – September 12, 2017 – Applicants MUST SUBMIT a completed MRA online form NO LATER THAN 5pm, September 8th, 2017. The University will e-approve Applications (which automatically submits them to CIHR) ONLY for those applications for which we have received an approved MRA .
Stage 1 Notice of Decision – December 07, 2017
Stage 2 Application deadline – February 06, 2018 – Applicants MUST SUBMIT a completed MRA online form NO LATER THAN 5pm January 29, 2018. NOTE: only applicants successful at Stage 1 may proceed to Stage 2
Stage 2 Notice of Decision – July 17, 2018
Funding Start Date – July 01, 2018
- Support a broad base of health research leaders across all career stages, areas, and health-related disciplines including basic, biomedical research with a demonstrable track record of excellence and impact in their field of study;
- Develop and maintain Canadian capacity in health research and other related fields;
- Provide research leaders with the flexibility to pursue novel and innovative lines of inquiry;
- Contribute to the creation and application of health-related knowledge through a wide range of research and/or knowledge translation activities, including relevant collaborations.
New/Early Career Investigators: Special Consideration
As announced by Dr. Rod McInnes on July 17, early career investigators (ECIs) are no longer eligible to apply to the Foundation Grant program in the role of Program Leader.
CIHR and partner(s) financial contributions for this initiative are subject to availability of funds. Should CIHR or partner(s) funding levels not be available or are decreased due to unforeseen circumstances, CIHR and partner(s) reserve the right to reduce, defer or suspend financial contributions to grants received as a result of this funding opportunity.
- The combined total amount available for CIHR’s 2017-18 Investigator Initiated Research Programs (which will include the Project Grant: Spring 2017, Project Grant: Fall 2017, and Foundation Grant: 2017-18 competitions) is approximately $575M. The proportion of investment between the Project Grant and Foundation Grant programs is currently under review. All funding opportunities will be updated once the new funding allocation for each competition is determined.
- The number of grants funded will depend on the requested budgets and peer review recommendations.
- Foundation grant levels will be commensurate with need, which is expected to vary by research field, research approach, and scope of program activities.
- Mid Career/Senior Investigators will be awarded 7-year grants. New/Early Career Investigators will be awarded 5-year grants.
- For existing CIHR grantees, the budget request should be consistent with the applicant’s previous CIHR Open Funding history as a Nominated Principal Investigator. CIHR will provide a calculated baseline budget to all Stage 2 applicants. Stage 2 applicants must provide robust justification for requests that are significantly higher than their historical grant levels.
- A minimum of 15% of funded grants will be allocated to New/Early Career Investigators.
The Foundation Grant program has no formal requirements for partnering, however, depending on the nature of the research project a commitment (cash or in-kind) from interested or engaged knowledge user(s) or other partners may be reasonably expected by peer reviewers.
Research Funding Officer, Health & Life Sciences
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 946-5926
More Information for Researchers
- : Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL 2018 Catalyst Funding Program – Call for Proposals
- Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL: Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL SIP Accelerator Program – Call for Applications
- Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Knowledge Mobilization (NCE-KM) Initiative competition – Call for Letter of Intent
- The RBC Prize for Innovation and Entrepreneurship: The RBC Prize for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Apply Now
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition