2018 Canada Gairdner Awards
Each year, the Toronto-based Gairdner Foundation offers three highly prestigious national and international prizes in medicine and medical science.
The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award is given to an established scientist who has demonstrated outstanding national leadership in medicine and medical science in Canada. Normally the scientist should have a high-level sustained research career in a biomedical discipline. It is given for:
- Leadership in a specific field of biomedical sciences (basic, clinical, population health) in Canada and/or original and sustained contributions to that field at an internationally recognized level; and
- Institutional academic and scientific leadership in Canada leading to the establishment and development of biomedical research in Canada and internationally.
Five Canada Gairdner International Awards are awarded each year to recognize outstanding biomedical scientists in any country who have made original contributions to medicine with the goal of contributing through research to increased understanding of human biology and disease. The award does not recognize a lifetime of work, and qualified nominees are invited from any branch of biomedicine, including translational research.
The Canada Gairdner Global Health Award is given to an individual scientist in any country who has made major scientific advances in any one the four areas of basic science, clinical science, or population or environmental health that have or have the potential to make a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world.
Recipients of each award are expected to participate in the Gairdner Foundation’s National Program, and the award must be accepted in person by the recipient at the Canada Gairdner Awards dinner.
To discuss a possible nomination, please approach the awards director or coordinator for your division, or advise the contact below of your interest.
Manager, University Awards & Honours
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7905
This database lists major national and international awards only. For a more comprehensive listing of awards across disciplines and for all stages of the career, please visit the COS Pivot database when logged into the U of T system. In the advanced search, select “Prizes and Awards” as the funding type.
If you intend to submit a nomination, please notify the award contact as soon as possible. The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation offers guidance on submitting awards nominations, in collaboration with divisional offices and affiliated institutions. In some cases, an internal competition will be held to select an institutional nominee.
More Information for Researchers
- J. P. Bickell Foundation: J.P. Bickell Foundation – Annual Medical Research Program Grants
- Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research: Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research: Strategic Grants – Call for Proposals
- Semiconductor Research Corp. (SRC): Semiconductor Research Corp. (SRC): GRC Call for White Papers in Nanomanufacturing Materials and Processes
- University of Toronto: CNRS-UofT Call for Joint Research Proposals
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC): Partnership Engage Grant