Genomic Applications Partnership Program (GAPP)
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Genomic Applications Partnership Program (GAPP) funds downstream research and development (R&D) projects that address real world opportunities and challenges identified by industry, government, not-for-profits and other “Receptors” of genomics knowledge and technologies.
GAPP projects are collaborations between academic researchers and Receptor organizations. They are co-funded by Receptors and other stakeholders, and have the potential to generate significant social and/or economic benefits for Canada.
Key Parameters of the Program:
- Total project size: $300,000 to $6 million. The structure of the funding plan is as follows: 1/3 investment from Genome Canada, 1/3 provided by the Receptor partner (cash or in-kind) and 1/3 of other co-funding. For more information see the GAPP Investment Strategy and Guidelines.
- Project term: 1 to 3 years. A shorter or longer term will be considered, but only if a strong rationale is provided.
- Project stage: small-scale proof-of-concept or pilot projects through to large-scale projects. Projects should not be in the discovery phase.
- Project eligibility: To be eligible for the GAPP, a project must:
- Develop and apply a genomics-derived tool, product or process to an opportunity or challenge defined by the Receptor(s);
- Focus on late stage R&D that will position the innovation for near-term implementation / commercialization;
- Be co-led by an academic and a Receptor organization in partnership, with active and necessary roles for both; and
- Demonstrate the potential to generate significant social and/or economic benefits for Canada.
Please note that the competition has a rolling deadline structure. The deadline for submissions of Expressions of Intent (EOI) has passed for Rounds 1-11. Funded GAPP projects from past rounds can be found here.
Application Process – there is a three-stage application process to this program:
- Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Project Pitch
- Supplementary Proposal
At each of the stages above, Ontario Genomics has developed a due diligence review process that is mandatory for all Ontario projects.
Competition Timelines for Rounds 10, 11 and 12
|Application Stage||Round 10 deadlines||Round 11 deadlines||Round 12 deadlines|
|Draft EOI due to Ontario Genomics||Closed||February 26, 2018||May 7, 2018|
|Face-to-face pitch to Ontario Genomics’ review panel||Closed||Mar 26, 2018||June 4-6, 2018|
|Final EOI due to Ontario Genomics*||Closed||April 16, 2018||July 3, 2018|
|Pitch to Genome Canada*||Closed||Est: May 4-25, 2018||Est. Aug 10, 2018|
|Draft Supplementary Proposal due to Ontario Genomics||Closed||June 11, 2018||August 27, 2018|
|Final Supplementary Proposal due to Ontario Genomics*||April 19, 2018||July 16, 2018||October 1, 2018|
*Applicants that miss this deadline may be moved to a later round of the GAPP
- Genomic Applications Partnership Program (GAPP) homepage
- Investment Strategy and Guidelines
- GAPP Financial Guide
Additional information can be found on the Ontario Genomics Institute’s (OGI) website. For questions on the GAPP program, please contact Shobha Ramsubir, Senior Manager, Business Development & Research at sramsubir@OntarioGenomics.ca. Please copy Jennifer Niu (email@example.com) on all submissions to Ontario Genomics.
Research Funding Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org | 416-946-3603
More Information for Researchers
- Samsung Global: 2018 Samsung Global Research Outreach Program (SAIT)- Call for Proposals
- Mitacs: Mitacs Elevate – Spring 2018 Call for Proposals
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. – The Huawei Innovation Research Program (HIRP)- Call for Proposals
- National Research Council Canada: Canada: National Research Council Canada: Canada – Germany 2+2 R&D Projects in Industry 4.0 Technology – Call for Proposals
- The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation: The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation (CABHI): 2018 Call for Innovations: Industry Innovation Partnership Program – Round 3