Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The next SSHRC Insight Grant competition will be held in October 2018. This webpage will be updated when SSHRC provides details. The information below is from the 2017 competition and is provided for reference only.
NEW FOR 2017:
- Grant period requested can be from two to five years (previous minimum length was three years) – all grants have an automatic one-year extension
- Choice of Funding Stream according to budget size
- Expanded funding of health-related research with focus on social sciences and humanities
Insight Grants support research excellence in the social sciences and humanities. Funding is available to both emerging and established scholars for long-term research initiatives of two to five years. Insight Grants research initiatives may be undertaken by an individual researcher or a team of researchers working in collaboration. Proposals may involve any disciplines, thematic areas, approaches or subject areas eligible for SSHRC funding.
- Stream A for requests between $7,000 and $100,000 over two to five years; or
- Stream B for requests between $100,001 and $400,000 over two to five years.
In either stream, the maximum annual request is $100,000. Stream A will have a higher target success rate than Stream B. Both streams will be evaluated by the same committees.
SSHRC will update their Insight Grant funding opportunity webpage and release the application form this summer.
Please note that in 2017 only, unsuccessful applicants from IDG 2017 may apply for an IG. In future rounds, as in the past, researchers may not apply as applicant for an Insight Grant and an Insight Development Grant within the same calendar year.
MRA: October 11, 2017 (received by RSO)
- Completed My Research Application (MRA) with all required attachments (draft application with finalized budget) and approvals from your unit head or one-up, Vice Deans-Research, Vice Principal (UTM/UTSC) and/or Dean and/or Hospital Research Head, where applicable.
- Departments may have earlier internal deadlines. Please contact your department for details of submission requirements.
- The MRA approval process should be started well in advance of the internal deadline as it can take several business days to complete the approval process.
- Please note that if you hold a Status Only or Emeritus appointment, you will need to ask to have an MRA account set up.
Full application: October 13, 2017 – Submit your online SSHRC application no later than noon Friday, October 13, 2017 (Please note: Submitting after this time may reduce our ability to submit your application to SSHRC by their deadline):
- Once application is finalized and completed on the SSHRC online site, verify and correct until the Verification Report indicates successful verification.
- Submit application to Research Services by clicking on the “Submit” button.
- Once received by Research Services, your application will be reviewed for institutional approval and submission to SSHRC
Please note: Submitting your online application means you are ready for Research Services to forward your proposal to SSHRC. Research Services will not review the content of your application but will verify your eligibility, and that of your UofT co-applicants, to hold a research grant at UofT. UTRS will return applications only to those who do not meet the University’s criteria to hold a research grant. If you have questions about the Insight Grant, please contact Research Services before the internal deadline.
- 2017 SSHRC Insight Grant RSO information session – slides
- UofT Libraries website: How to comply with the Tri-Agency Open Access Policy
- SSHRC Webinar on the 2017 Insight Grant (held Sept 7, 2017) – slides
- Review Guidelines for Effective Research Training
- Guidelines for Effective Knowledge Mobilization
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide
Research Funding Officer, Social Sciences & Humanities
email@example.com | (416) 978-7324
More Information for Researchers
- : Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL 2018 Catalyst Funding Program – Call for Proposals
- Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL: Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL SIP Accelerator Program – Call for Applications
- Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Knowledge Mobilization (NCE-KM) Initiative competition – Call for Letter of Intent
- The RBC Prize for Innovation and Entrepreneurship: The RBC Prize for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Apply Now
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition