John R. Evans Leaders Fund
The Canada Foundation for Innovation’s (CFI) John R. Evans Leaders Fund (JELF) is designed to serve the infrastructure needs of individual faculty or small groups of up to three faculty members where there is a need to share infrastructure. The JELF is not intended to serve the infrastructure needs of larger groups, centres, departments, or institutions. It is designed to assist universities to attract leading researchers to Canadian universities and retain the best of today’s and tomorrow’s leading investigators. Larger divisions at the University have been pre-assigned a portion of the University’s CFI allocation. JELF projects thus need to be approved by the researcher’s division as these grants spend down the finite divisional allocations. If you are a researcher who is interested in applying for a JELF through the Faculty of Arts & Science, Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, Faculty of Medicine, UTSC or UTM, your first step should be to talk to your Chair. For all Faculty of Medicine applicants, please contact Cindy Faber in the Faculty of Medicine Research Office. Other divisions have been given a communal allocation which requires approval by the Vice President, Research and Innovation. Researchers from a division not listed above must first make a formal request to Research Services using the CFI JELF Allocation Request Form before applying.
Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure (ORF-RI): Ontario’s universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutes have played, and continue to play a vital role in ensuring Ontario remains at the forefront of the global knowledge-based economy by supporting cutting-edge research and developing world-leading researchers. Increasing our capacity for innovation at these institutions through research infrastructure investments will help Ontarians manage emerging social and public policy issues such as poverty, environmental sustainability, health care, and stable energy sources, and, in so doing, find new opportunities for enhancing economic growth and improving our quality of life. The ORF-RI program from the Ministry of Research, Innovation, and Science (MRIS) will ensure that Ontario’s publicly funded research institutions and their researchers continue to have competitive, state-of-the-art infrastructure to engage in world-leading research and technology development, and are able to leverage awards from the CFI.
DEADLINES: June 2018 competition
- CFI-JELF Internal Draft Application Deadline: May 15, 2018
- CFI-JELF Internal Hospital Application Deadline (non-campus): June 5, 2018
- CFI-JELF Internal Final Application Deadline: June 7, 2018
- My Research Application Deadline: June 7, 2018*
- Sponsor Deadline for CFI-JELF: June 15, 2018
- ORF-RI Internal Draft Application Deadline: July 10, 2018**
- ORF-RI Internal Final Application Deadline: July 30, 2018
UPCOMING DEADLINES: October 2018 competition
- CFI-JELF Internal Draft Application Deadline: September 13, 2018
- CFI-JELF Internal Hospital Application Deadline (non-campus): October 5, 2018
- CFI-JELF Internal Final Application Deadline: October 9, 2018**
- My Research Application Deadline: October 9, 2018*
- Sponsor Deadline for CFI-JELF: October 15, 2018
- ORF-RI Internal Draft Application Deadline: November 20, 2018**
- ORF-RI Internal Final Application Deadline: December 10, 2018**
* Only one MRA is required for application to both sponsors. When completing your MRA, please select as the sponsors (1) Canada Foundation for Innovation, (2) Ministry of Research & Innovation. On the program selection screen, indicate (1) CFI: John R. Evans Leadership Fund (JELF), Infrastructure Operating Fund (IOF), and (2) MRI: Ontario Research Fund (matching JELF).
** Revised dates
Important Documents & Media:
Research Funding Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-8489
This database lists major national and international awards only. For a more comprehensive listing of awards across disciplines and for all stages of the career, please visit the COS Pivot database when logged into the U of T system. In the advanced search, select “Prizes and Awards” as the funding type.
If you intend to submit a nomination, please notify the award contact as soon as possible. The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation offers guidance on submitting awards nominations, in collaboration with divisional offices and affiliated institutions. In some cases, an internal competition will be held to select an institutional nominee.
More Information for Researchers
- Samsung Global: 2018 Samsung Global Research Outreach Program (SAIT)- Call for Proposals
- Mitacs: Mitacs Elevate – Spring 2018 Call for Proposals
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. – The Huawei Innovation Research Program (HIRP)- Call for Proposals
- National Research Council Canada: Canada: National Research Council Canada: Canada – Germany 2+2 R&D Projects in Industry 4.0 Technology – Call for Proposals
- The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation: The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation (CABHI): 2018 Call for Innovations: Industry Innovation Partnership Program – Round 3