Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
About the Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
The Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship provides a long-term funding and internship option for master’s and PhD students. Recipients can also access professional development training that helps them ensure project success and gain in-demand career skills.
Interested applicants can apply for the Accelerate Fellowship at any time. All other Accelerate program guidelines apply.
|Project length||18 months||36 months|
|Total research award||$40,000||$80,000|
|Minimum intern stipend||$30,000||$72,000 ($24,000/year)|
|Partner organization contribution||$18,000||$36,000|
The Accelerate Fellowship includes access to recommended professional development training for interns to maximize their learning and project efficacy.
Accelerate Fellowship training activities are centred on two themes:
- Project planning and implementation
- Strengthened communication and relationship building with partnerTraining is nationally standardized and accessible across Canada through virtual coaching, webinars, online learning, and, in select cities, in-person workshops. Topics include:
Accelerate program orientation (online workshop)
- With each training activity, interns can develop skills, knowledge, and tools in alignment with the training themes. Because these skills are applicable to research projects, all participants will see improved results.
- Participants learn about program expectations, requirements, objectives, and key success tips, gaining the knowledge the need to maximize their research internship experience and meet any challenges
Building project clarity (small-group virtual coaching)
- Participants build project overviews and share with their coaching groups, using results to define and clarify project roles, individual contributions, and expectations in discussions with professors and partner organizations
Managing project timelines (online workshop)
- Participants gain time management skills to create and maintain short- and long-term project timelines
Project management (one- or two-day course in select cities)
- Participants explore project management principles and practices and apply teachings to small group projects
Communicating your research (online workshop)
- Participants learn how to organize data, information, and key points and how to make them memorable
Writing strategic business reports/Writing effective emails (online workshops)
- Participants develop the skills to effectively communicate key research results and recommendations, identify key messages, inform and shape aspects of the project, and strengthen engagement from team members and professors
Networking (online workshop)
- Participants learn tips for actively building their personal and professional networks, identifying individuals in their networks, and using their internships to nurture and build key relationships
How to apply:
1.Review the following information when you begin writing your proposal:
2.Get feedback on the proposal from all participants and your Mitacs business development representative
3.Collect all required signatures: intern(s), professor(s), partner contact, and university Office of Research Services or equivalent
4. Email your proposal package to your Mitacs representative
Please be sure to include supporting documents as required by your university or province.
For more information or to start an application, contact:
Innovations & Partnerships Office
Tel 416 946-5332
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-5557
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)