Mitacs Elevate – Winter 2018 call for proposals
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with a customized research management training component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- An exclusive research management curriculum for postdoctoral fellows in any discipline
- A minimum one-year research project (normally two years in duration) with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- A Partner Organization Business Case, developed to outline project objectives, risks, and stakeholder success criteria, and ensure project value
Elevate fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows divide their time between their partner organization project and university-based research with their faculty supervisor.
Elevate fellows receive:
- $55,000 minimum annual stipend/salary (for fellowships awarded after April 1, 2018)
- Training curriculum valued at $7,500 per year
- Submission assistance, including application feedback, from Mitacs representatives
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
Who is Eligible?
Elevate is supported by a combination of federal, provincial, and partner organization funds.
Dedicated funding varies by province. In some provinces, a financial contribution may be required (from the academic supervisor or university) in lieu of provincial funding.
The contribution varies depending on the applicant’s province and university partnership level.
All Mitacs Elevate fellowship proposals undergo a two-stage review process:
Stage 1: an administrative review to confirm program eligibility, followed by
Stage 2: an external review based on peer assessment of the research project proposals.
Peer assessment criteria are grouped into two (2) broad categories: the technical merit of the proposed research project; and the excellence of the proposed fellow. For these categories, Mitacs seeks arm’s length expert reviewers to answer the following questions:
A. Technical merit of the proposed project
- Does the project significantly contribute to the advancement of knowledge or the development of new applications, and is there an appreciable element of novelty?
- Are the objectives achievable, given the current state of the art and the expertise of the project team?
- Are the methods and techniques appropriate for the objectives?
- Is the proposed project at an appropriate level for a postdoctoral fellow?
B. Excellence of the proposed fellow
- Relative to other researchers at the same career stage, how would you characterize the achievements of the proposed fellow (e.g. publication record, patents, awards and scholarships, mentoring, accomplishments in teaching, related industry or entrepreneurial activities, etc.)?
- The Elevate program offers training opportunities to develop leadership, communication and business skills. Does the candidate demonstrate commitment to this professional development?
How to Apply
IMPORTANT: applicants are strongly encouraged to resolve the following before submitting their proposals:
- Submit an Intent to Apply no later than January 24, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT (non-mandatory)
- If applicable, submit an Intern or Supervisor Conflict of Interest (COI) Declaration. A declared conflict of interest must be submitted to elevate(at)mitacs.ca no later than January 24, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT. Please consult the Conflict of Interest section under Program Administration.
- Proposals with a not-for-profit partner must seek partner and project eligibility approval before proceeding. Please contact us at elevate(at)mitacs.ca or a business development representative to discuss the eligibility of an NFP organization before submission of the completed application package.
- All applications should be prepared using the most current template found on the website. We strongly encourage you to submit a draft copy of your proposal for a one-time pre-review to elevate(at)mitacs.ca. Pre-reviews must be provided using the current program application form and will be accepted no later than February 7, 2018, at 5 p.m. PT.
- Review the Writing Your Elevate Proposal Guide when you begin writing your proposal
The completed Mitacs Elevate proposal should be written and submitted no later than February 21, 2018, at 1 p.m. PT to elevate(at)mitacs.ca. Late submissions will not be accepted.
A completed Application Package consists of the following:
- A completed application form
- A memorandum signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three signed letters of support maximum, on letterhead:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization on partner organization letterhead that confirms the amount of the financial commitment
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
Please submit the documents of your package as separate documents. Please do not combine them all in one file. ZIP files recommended.
If references would like to send their letters confidentially, they may email them to elevatereferences(at)mitacs.ca. All letters must be received at Mitacs by the competition deadline.
When you have all the necessary documents ready, please submit them by email to elevate(at)mitacs.ca. All applicants will receive a confirmation email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.
For questions or more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-5557
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)