Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE): AGE-WELL 2018 Catalyst Funding Program – Call for Proposals
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
AGE-WELL is excited to launch its 3rd Catalyst Funding Program to support innovative research projects aimed at generating, promoting or accelerating economic and social benefit in the field of technology and aging.
The Catalyst Funding Program represents the first-stage in AGE-WELL’s innovation funding stream. Catalyst grants will support early-stage, scalable research projects including pilot studies, feasibility studies and novel approaches that are aligned with AGE-WELL’s mission and vision. Projects must demonstrate strong potential for real-world impact.
It is expected that Catalyst projects will lead to new funded research initiatives, either as part of AGE-WELL or through other granting agencies. Projects funded by Catalyst grants may be suitable for future AGE-WELL investment as they progress along the innovation pipeline. To be eligible for continued funding through AGE-WELL, end-of-term deliverables must provide justification for continued funding either through a renewal of Catalyst funding or transfer to another AGE-WELL funding program (e.g. Core Research Program, Strategic Investment Program). See Project Deliverables and Potential for Continued Funding section below.
Award Value and Term
Up to $50,000 over 12 months. Can be renewed for one year, pending end-of-term review.
Application Deadline: March 23rd, 2018, 5:00 pm EST.
- The competition is open to researchers based at Canadian institutions working in the field of technology and aging. AGE-WELL uses the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) definition of “independent researchers” when defining eligible grant holders (see http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/34190.html).
- AGE-WELL abides by the funding rules of the Tri-Council Agencies and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) in particular. Please consult the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide about eligibility, eligible grant expenses, partner contributions etc.
- The applicant’s host institution must be eligible to hold Tri-Council funding. Canadian universities and investigators who are not already members of AGE-WELL will be required to sign onto the Network Agreement prior to receiving funds.
- Catalyst funds cannot be used for activities funded through other AGE-WELL research competitions (e.g. activities that are part of an AGE-WELL Core Research Project).
- Investigators will normally be expected to include partner organizations in their projects, including as part of any dissemination or commercialization planning. Such organizations should be described in the application, even where the partnership is at a very early stage of development. For reporting purposes, all partnership activities should be quantified in the application.
- Proposals will ideally demonstrate some level of additional cash and/or in-kind contributions from industry or community partners or describe a plan to secure such contributions. There is no minimum contribution level required for the Catalyst program.
Application and Review Process:
Applications will be accepted through AGE-WELL’s Forum Research Portal.
- Access the Catalyst Program section of the Forum Research Portal.
- All current AGE-WELL Network Investigators have Forum accounts and can access the Catalyst Program application materials through the ‘My Applications‘ tab visible when they log into Forum.
- Applicants who are not already AGE-WELL Network Investigators must first request access to Forum by emailing email@example.com request an account. Accounts will be set up within 24 hours (maximum) of receiving the request. Once an account is created, applicants can access application materials through the ‘My Applications‘ tab visible upon login.
- Complete the information in each section, uploading attachments as requested. The narrative sections of the application should not exceed 5 pages.
- It is critical that AGE-WELL research investments support the potential for “real world impact”. A Relevancy Review will be carried out by network stakeholders (older adults and caregivers) to determine the potential for uptake and impact if funded by AGE-WELL. Results of the relevancy review will be taken into consideration by the Research Management Committee during Scientific Review of the proposal.
Potential for Continued Funding and Project Deliverables:
To be considered for additional AGE-WELL funding, completed Catalyst projects must demonstrate long-term viability and readiness to advance to the next stage of funding. All teams who anticipate applying for further AGE-WELL funding will be expected to produce specific and measurable deliverables at the conclusion of their project, which may include:
- Problem/solution statement providing evidence of co-creation with key stakeholders over the term of the project. This should emphasize the need/problem/aspiration of stakeholder(s). “Solutions” could be high level and noncommittal as to technology platform at this stage.
- Environmental scan and/or literature review to provide an overview of the state of the art with respect to the problem/solution statement and will provide the justification for advancing the project.
- Research project outline for next steps that would map out approach and likely methods for how a subsequent project would be carried out.
- Preliminary business case or planning document addressing either knowledge mobilization and/or commercialization plans, e.g. business canvas, basic market analysis, knowledge mobilization plan.
Questions about the Catalyst Funding Program should be directed to Jeanie Zabukovec, AGE-WELL Research and Partnerships Administrator (Jeanie@agewell-nce.ca). If you would like to discuss an idea for a strategic project, please get in touch with J. Zabukovec and one of the Scientific Directors would be happy to talk further.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-5557
More Information for Researchers
- Samsung Global: 2018 Samsung Global Research Outreach Program (SAIT)- Call for Proposals
- Mitacs: Mitacs Elevate – Spring 2018 Call for Proposals
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. – The Huawei Innovation Research Program (HIRP)- Call for Proposals
- National Research Council Canada: Canada: National Research Council Canada: Canada – Germany 2+2 R&D Projects in Industry 4.0 Technology – Call for Proposals
- The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation: The Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation (CABHI): 2018 Call for Innovations: Industry Innovation Partnership Program – Round 3