New Investigator Salary Award
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
A new investigator is defined as a researcher who has held a full time research appointment (i.e.: faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees), for a period of 0 to 60 months.
This is the final launch of the New Investigator program
Eligibility to Apply
For your application to be eligible:
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must be an independent researcher.
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must be appointed at an eligible institution (See Institutional Eligibility Requirements for eligibility process and associated timelines.
At the time of application, applicants must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
- have obtained a full time professional degree (MD, DVM, etc…) or PhD degree within the last 10 years. Individuals that fall outside of the 10-year eligibility period due to career interruptions or delays for the purpose of childrearing, illness, or health-related family responsibilities; or, for health professionals only, who have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (residency, etc.), must submit a justification to explain why they feel they should be considered eligible.
- the Nominated Principal Applicant must have a full-time academic or research appointment, or a formal commitment to a full-time academic or research appointment at an eligible institution.
- hold a full-time appointment as an independent researcher (i.e.: faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees) for a period of 0 to 60 months. If the applicant does not yet meet this condition, the applicant needs to have a formal commitment from the Institution to a full-time appointment as an independent researcher, with an effective start date as of the commencement of the award. This commitment must be demonstrated in the Dean of Faculty/Research Director Letter.
Note 1: All time spent in research appointments will be taken into consideration when determining eligibility. Should an applicant hold or have held a part time appointment, CIHR will count that time as 50% (e.g.: a one-year part-time appointment will count for 6 months towards the 60 month maximum).
Note 2: Leaves of absence, as indicated in the Leaves of Absence section under Employment of your Academic Common CV, will not count towards the 60-month maximum.
- have a written commitment from the Institution to protect a minimum of 75% of the applicant’s time for research for the duration of the award.
- hold peer-reviewed operating funds (e.g. Foundation grants, large group grants, project scheme grants, etc.) as a Nominated Principal Applicant or Principal Applicant as of the earliest possible start date for the New Investigator award (i.e., July 1, 2016). If the applicant does not meet this condition, the applicant must seek competitive peer-reviewed operating support from CIHR or another research funding organization as a Nominated Principal Applicant or Principal Applicant in order to meet all Conditions of Funding. This must be demonstrated in the Research Funding History section of the Academic Common CV.
Research Funding Officer, Health & Life Sciences
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 946-5926
More Information for Researchers
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)
- Innovation and Science, Ministry of Research: Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science – Low Carbon Innovation Fund (LCIF) Technology Validation Stream: Call for Eligibility Assessments
- Mitacs: Mitacs Elevate – Winter 2018 call for proposals
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-Jiangsu Industrial Research and Development Program: Call for Proposal
- : Academics Without Borders Network University Partners For capacity building projects in an Institution of Higher Learning In the Developing World