Research Grant Program (R01)
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Research Project Grant (R01) provides support for health-related research and development based on the mission of the NIH. R01s are most often investigator initiated in response to either the R01 Parent Announcement or a Program Announcement highlighting particular scientific areas. Requests for Applications (RFAs) may also utilize the R01 mechanism.
- NIH runs three competitions per year for new R01 Research Grants (February, 5, June 5 and October 5).
- Other deadlines apply for resubmission/renewal of Research Grants, other NIH research grant programs and for Requests for Applications (RFAs). Applications in response to RFAs are managed through the University’s Innovations & Partnerships Office.
- Internal deadlines: 4 business days in advance of the NIH deadline.
- Our DUNS Number is 259999779
- Our EIN for NIH applications: 1900002838A2
- Our Congressional District is 00-000.
- NIH Indirect cost (overhead) rate: 8% of direct costs minus any equipment, student tuition, research patient care costs, rent, and sub-recipient charges (after the first $25,000).
Resources for applications led by UofT Researchers:
- University of Toronto Submission Guide found here.
- Presentation: Introduction to NIH
- For more information on Avoiding Common Errors on NIH applications click here.
- NIH Tips for Preparing Your Application Using ASSIST can be found here
- Please note these documents are supplemental resources only and the details and instructions for applications is found in the specific Funding Opportunity Announcement*
- *** Applicants applying to NIH applications as of December 31, 2017 should access the application by signing-in to ASSIST using their eRA Commons user name and password***
Resources for UofT co-applicants on proposals led by other institutions:
- University of Toronto Submission Guide for Faculty Applying as a Subaward found here
The internal deadline for applications to be submitted to the Research Services Office is 4 business days prior to the NIH submission deadline. Applications must be submitted through My Research Application (MRA) for department and faculty approval prior to the internal deadline.
UofT Research Services Office Contacts
Krista Montgomery (firstname.lastname@example.org): for UofT faculty appointed within Dalla Lana, Applied Sci & Eng, Dentistry, Forestry, Kinesiology & PE, Nursing, Pharmacy, UTM, and Medicine (last names A-M only).
Jason Darby (email@example.com): for UofT faculty appointed Architecture, Arts & Science, Law, Rotman, Information, Social Work, OISE, UTSC, Music, and Medicine (last names N-Z only)
Help with Application
- NIH Funding Opportunities and Notices can be found here. Please consult the Parent Announcement, Program Announcement or RFA to confirm that non-US institutions are eligible to apply.
- Register for NIH newsletters, funding announcements, Podcasts here.
- NIH has created a series of Podcasts about Grant Writing, Early Stage Investigators and Jump Starting Your Research Program. Access them here.
Research Funding Manager, US & International Funding
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-2155
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)