Research Grant Program (R01)
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Research Project Grant (R01) provides support for health-related research and development based on the mission of the NIH. R01s are most often investigator initiated in response to either the R01 Parent Announcement or a Program Announcement highlighting particular scientific areas. Requests for Applications (RFAs) may also utilize the R01 mechanism.
- NIH runs three competitions per year for new R01 Research Grants (February, 5, June 5 and October 5).
- Other deadlines apply for resubmission/renewal of Research Grants, other NIH research grant programs and for Requests for Applications (RFAs).
- Internal deadlines: 4 business days in advance of the NIH deadline.
- Our DUNS Number is 259999779
- Our EIN for NIH applications: 1900002838A2
- Our Congressional District is 00-000.
- NIH Indirect cost (overhead) rate: 8% of direct costs minus major equipment costs.
Resources for applications led by UofT Researchers:
- University of Toronto Submission Guide found here
- Presentation: Introduction to NIH
- For more information on Avoiding Common Errors on NIH applications click here.
- Annotated SF424 (R&R) Application Packages with field-by-field tips to avoid common errors and ensure successful submission of your application can be found here.
- Please note these documents are supplemental resources only and the actual application package must be downloaded from the Funding Opportunity Announcement.
Resources for UofT co-applicants on proposals led by other institutions:
- University of Toronto Submission Guide for Faculty Applying as a Subaward found here
The internal deadline for applications to be submitted to the Research Services Office is 4 business days prior to the NIH submission deadline. Applications must be submitted through My Research Application (MRA) for department and faculty approval prior to the internal deadline.
UofT Research Services Office Contacts
Krista Montgomery (firstname.lastname@example.org): for UofT faculty appointed within Dalla Lana, Applied Sci & Eng, Dentistry, Forestry, Kinesiology & PE, Nursing, Pharmacy, UTM, and Medicine (last names A-M only).
Jason Darby (email@example.com): for UofT faculty appointed Architecture, Arts & Science, Law, Rotman, Information, Social Work, OISE, UTSC, Music, and Medicine (last names N-Z only)
Help with Application
- NIH Funding Opportunities and Notices can be found here. Please consult the Parent Announcement, Program Announcement or RFA to confirm that non-US institutions are eligible to apply.
- Register for NIH newsletters, funding announcements, Podcasts here.
- NIH has created a series of Podcasts about Grant Writing, Early Stage Investigators and Jump Starting Your Research Program. Access them here.
Research Funding Manager, US & International Funding
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-2155