Research Tools & Instruments – Category 1
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
***Please note that RSO will be offering information sessions for the upcoming deadlines for both Discovery Grant and RTI competition. These sessions will cover the program requirements, eligibility requirements, changes for this year’s competition, evaluation criteria and proposal development. These sessions will also include guest speakers (committee member or a successful applicant) who will outline details in the application and evaluation process.
The sessions will be held on the following dates and locations:
Thursday September 7, 2017 1:00 p.m.- 4:00 pm
Location – OISE OI 5170 , 252 Bloor St W, Toronto
Guest Speaker – Dr. Deepa Kundur
RSVP – Joanna Baylon, RFA, Research Services; 416-978-2525, Joanna.email@example.com
Tuesday September 19, 2017 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Location – Room 3129-DV, Davis Building , 3359 Mississauga Road North
Guest Speaker – Dr. Angela Lange
RSVP – Carla DeMarco, Communications & Grants Manager, UTM: 905-828-5343;firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday September 13, 2017 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m
Guest Speakers- Lisa Jeffrey; George Arhonditsis
Location – TBD 1265 Military Trail, Room MW 324
RSVP –, Shaun Young, PhD Research Administration Officer, Office of the Vice Principal, Research UTSC; 416-208-5171; email@example.com
Further to a consultation with the research community about the Research Tools and Instruments (RTI) program, NSERC decided to remove the university quotas and the 2018 RTI competition will be open to all eligible Canadian university researchers. Researchers will be able to participate on one application per competition, either as an applicant or a co applicant, but not both. The RTI program description and instructions will be updated accordingly and will be available at the beginning of August. The application for the RTI Program will be available in the Research Portal at the same time.
Research Tools and Instruments (RTI) program, Category 1, offers one-year awards to assist buying or developing research equipment that costs more than $7,001, up to a maximum of $150,000. Applications with total equipment cost of up to $250,000 are possible provided that the difference between the amount requested from NSERC (of up to $150,000 or less) is covered by other sources that are in place when the RTI application is submitted to NSERC.
RTI Category 1 Applications:
- Internal Deadline: October 18, 2017
- NSERC Deadline: October 25, 2017
How to Apply:
- Complete an Application using NSERC’s Research Portal and the Canadian Common CV (CCV); each applicant and co-applicant must also submit a Canadian Common CV (CCV). If a cash contribution towards the purchase of the equipment is being provided, please include a letter from the organization confirming this commitment.
- Submit the application form and the CCV as a PDF from the Research Portal using the My Research Applications MRA, no later than 5 pm on the internal deadline
- Please review the NSERC Application and instructions for the RTI Program
- When your application is final and complete, submit by clicking the “Submit to RGO” button. Do this by the internal deadline date(s) indicated above. Submitting your final application to Research Services means you are ready to submit it to NSERC. Research Services will then e-approve your application, which will be automatically transmitted to NSERC. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt from NSERC.
Research Funding Officer, Natural Sciences & Engineering
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 946-7517
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)