SSHRC Institutional Grant (SIG)
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Please note that the My Research Applications form is not required for SIG awards; the necessary documentation and approvals are collected via the SIG online system.
Each year SSHRC makes a block grant to the University to support small-scale research activities in the humanities and social sciences. Research Services allocates award funds to departments according to a formula based on departmental success and participation in SSHRC research competitions and advises departments that the funds are available. The funds may be used for one or more of the following purposes:
- Student compensation related to small-scale research projects in the humanities and social sciences
- Research-related conference travel by faculty or students (domestic or international travel)
- Other knowledge mobilization activities within and/or beyond the research community
- Expenses related to small-scale research projects in the humanities and social sciences
Eligible and ineligible expenses must follow the current Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide. For specific eligible expenses under each of these activities, consult the SSHRC guide for the funding opportunity that most closely resembles the type of grant being awarded. Subject matter must be eligible for support under SSHRC’s mandate.
Departments award SIG funds through a competitive process to individuals within the department whose appointments include an expectation to conduct research. Other academic staff may be considered on an exceptional basis as long as SSHRC eligibility criteria are observed. The department may further refine SIG eligibility to focus on particular subgroups. Researchers interested in the possibility of SIG funding should contact their departmental business officer.
After departmental award decisions are made, the Business Officer will establish each award online in our SIG system, and the Chair/Dean will approve the awards online. Instructions are available in the SSHRC Institutional Grant guide for departments. The SIG awards established between April 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2017 will have an end date of March 31st, 2017. No extensions are provided for SIG awards.
Research Funding Officer, Social Sciences & Humanities
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7324
More Information for Researchers
- Natural Resources Canada: NRCan Energy Innovation Program Call for Proposals – Up to $5M available per Project
- BioFuelNet Canada: BioFuelNet Canada – Call for proposals
- Sony: Sony Research Award Program 2016
- Mitacs: Mitacs Canadian Science Policy Fellowship: 2017-18 Call for Proposals
- Southern Ontario Water Consortium: Southern Ontario Water Consortium – Advancing Water Technologies program call for proposals for large projects up to $500,000