E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowships
NSERC awards up to six (6) Steacie Fellowships annually for a two-year period. Successful Fellows are relieved of teaching and administrative duties to be able to devote all their time and energy to research. The Fellowships are held at a Canadian university or affiliated research institution.
* Candidates should have obtained their doctorate WITHIN the last 12 years (i.e., 2005 or later) and hold a grant from NSERC. (Parental leave taken for child-bearing and rearing is not counted as part of the 12-year period; however, such periods MUST be identified in the letter from the nominator.)
* Candidates may not apply on their own behalf. They must be nominated by senior members of the Canadian science and engineering community, and nominations must be endorsed by the executive head of the candidate’s university.
For more information on the nomination process, please refer to the NSERC website
NOMINATION PACKAGE – Please forward the following (PDF preferred) to Research Services by May 5, 2017:
- An My Research -Applications , authorized by your Chair and/or Dean (as your unit’s policies determine) is required before your application can be approved by Research Services.
- Letter from the nominator(s) (NOTE: Nominators can be an individual or a group. They MUST be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and be senior members of the Canadian science and engineering community. Nominators can nominate ONLY ONE candidate.)
- 2-page research summary
- copies of the nominee’s three most significant research contributions
- NSERC Form 100 (NOTE: In Part 2, contributions need not be limited to those in the last 6 years and there is no maximum page limit.)
IMPORTANT: Nomination materials should be written for non-specialists as the internal Adjudication Committee and the NSERC Selection Committee are multi-disciplinary.
U of T ADJUDICATION PROCESS
There will be an Adjudication Committee to select the top 6 nominees from the University. The following factors will be used in assessing the nominations:
- Candidate’s stature in the scientific or engineering community, both national and international
- Importance and scope of the candidate’s research and its impact on the field
- Candidate’s specific accomplishments within his/her field
- Candidate’s overall suitability for this award
To be considered, all nomination materials should reach the Office of Research Services by May 5, 2017. This internal deadline is fixed to give the Committee sufficient time to review and evaluate the nominations. All nominees will be informed of the results of the adjudication. The top six candidates will be given an opportunity to complete and make any revisions to their submissions.
Nomination materials will be sent to NSERC in one package to meet the June 7th, 2017 NSERC deadline. Please notify Sarah Carson (contact information below) in advance if your unit is submitting any a nomination.
Manager, University Awards & Honours
email@example.com | (416) 978-7905
This database lists major national and international awards only. For a more comprehensive listing of awards across disciplines and for all stages of the career, please visit the COS Pivot database when logged into the U of T system. In the advanced search, select “Prizes and Awards” as the funding type.
If you intend to submit a nomination, please notify the award contact as soon as possible. The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation offers guidance on submitting awards nominations, in collaboration with divisional offices and affiliated institutions. In some cases, an internal competition will be held to select an institutional nominee.
More Information for Researchers
- ontario institute for cancer research: Ontario Institute for Cancer Research: Cancer Therapeutics Innovation Pipeline Strategic Initiative – Call for Applications
- Ontario Centres of Excellence: Ontario Centres of Excellence: Health Technologies Fund – Call for Expressions of Interest
- Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario: Access and Retention Consortium 2.0 – Call for Expressions of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence: Ontario ‘Solutions 2030 Challenge’ – Call for Applications (GreenHouse Gas Reduction)
- : Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario – High School Student and Parent Perceptions of OSAP; Call for Proposals