University of Toronto Research Completion Award
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
Under certain SSHRC and NSERC programs, grantees receive an automatic one-year no-cost extension following the original funding expiry date to complete their research using unspent funds. After the automatic extension year, SSHRC and NSERC authorize unspent funds from awards in selected programs to be transferred to a NSERC or SSHRC General Research Fund (GRF). Once transferred to the GRF, these funds become an institutional resource to be used for the broad purpose of enhancing the quality of research in the natural sciences and engineering, or in the social sciences and humanities respectively.
Under the jurisdiction of the the Vice-President Research and Innovation, the General Research Fund supports a number of research initiatives through an annual allocation. One of these initiatives is the University of Toronto Research Completion Award (RCA) program which provides funding to researchers whose eligible SSHRC or NSERC grant has recently expired with an unspent balance and who:
- have been unable to complete the research project due to extenuating circumstances
- require funds to advance their originally approved research project in order to position themselves for re-application to NSERC or SSHRC
The RCA program is a competitive, peer reviewed program and applications are adjudicated under the auspices of the Vice-President Research and Innovation. It is important to note that due to limited funds available, successful RCA applications usually receive partial funding only.
The University expects that RCA awardees seek new tri-council funding at the earliest opportunity. Continued University of Toronto participation and success in NSERC and SSHRC programs is essential to the University’s allocations in other federal funding programs including Canada Research Chairs and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
The RCA competition deadline is April 2018. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please submit this 2017 UT RCA Application Form
Manager, Internal Programs
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-7118
More Information for Researchers
- Innovation and Science, Ministry of Research: Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science – Low Carbon Innovation Fund (LCIF) Technology Validation Stream: Call for Eligibility Assessments
- Mitacs: Mitacs Elevate – Winter 2018 call for proposals
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-Jiangsu Industrial Research and Development Program: Call for Proposal
- : Academics Without Borders Network University Partners For capacity building projects in an Institution of Higher Learning In the Developing World
- Weston Brain Institute: Weston Brain Institute: Early Phase Clinical Trials: Canada – Call for Letter of Intent