Weston Brain Institute: Early Phase Clinical Trials: Canada – Call for Letter of Intent
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Weston Brain Institute (the “Institute”) supports neuroscience research that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging. To help achieve this, the Institute addresses gaps and inefficiencies in the funding market by supporting high-risk, high-reward translational projects, while leveraging world-class business and scientific expertise in a fast and flexible granting process.
The Institute was founded by The W. Garfield Weston Foundation, which supports the Institute’s Canadian programs.
Neurodegenerative diseases of aging are among the least understood and most undertreated diseases today. If ignored, the social and economic costs of managing these diseases will continue to rise. Meeting these challenges requires pioneering approaches to accelerating treatments.
The Early Phase Clinical Trials: Canada program was created to provide funding support for clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies that have excellent preliminary data.
NEW for 2018:
- The Institute has updated which tools are in scope. Please read the What We Fund page before applying to ensure your project is in scope.
- The Early Phase Clinical Trials: Canada program will now be run on a rolling basis.
Goal: To provide funding to support clinical trials and/or clinical trial sub-studies that could accelerate the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative disease aging.
Funding: A maximum of $1,500,000 per project over up to 4 years
Eligible Principal Applicants must be at or above the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent, and be affiliated with a Canada Revenue Agency-qualified donee institution located in Canada. Co-applicants and Collaborators must be at the post-doctoral level or above, and can be working outside Canada.
Applicants may appear in any role on any number of projects.
Projects must meet these conditions to be eligible:
- Be a clinical trial(s) and/or a clinical trial sub-study(s) that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
- Projects that require only up to $200,000 over up to 18 months may also be submitted to the Rapid Response program.
- Translational research other than clinical trials and/or clinical trial sub-studies should be submitted to the Transformational Research program or the Rapid Response program.
- Be the development of a therapeutic and/or tool.
Please refer to the What We Fund page for Institute definitions of neurodegenerative diseases of aging, translational research, therapeutic, tool, and clinical trials.
The Institute encourages applicants to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 416-935-4056) with any questions regarding this program, including whether a potential idea is in scope.
There are two stages to the application process:
- Letters of Intent (LOI)
An application requires the submission of a Letter of Intent which will be reviewed by our scientific review committee. Applicants with high potential projects will then be invited to submit a Proposal. Instructions for submitting the Proposal will be forwarded to those invited.
Applicants can expect to receive the outcome of their LOI application within ~2 months of submission.
email@example.com | (416) 978-5557
More Information for Researchers
- Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC): Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) – Call for Funding Proposals in Nanomanufacturing Materials and Processes (NMP)
- Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC): Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) – Call for Funding Proposals in Computer-Aided Design and Test (CADT)
- George Weston Limited: George Weston Limited: Seeding Food Innovation Grants 2018 Program Announcement – Call for Letters of Intent (LOI)
- : IC-IMPACTS and Department of Science and Technology (DST), India : Improving Occupant Survivability in Buildings During Fires – Call for Proposals
- Samsung Global: 2018 Samsung Global Research Outreach Program (SAIT)- Call for Proposals