Weston Brain Institute – Transformational Research: Canada 2018 Call for Letter of Intent
Notice: Faculty members who are planning to apply for funding are encouraged to login to the My Research Application (MRA) on-line system well in advance of the submission deadline to ensure that there are no problems with your login credentials. The system utilizes your UTORid credentials. The information in the on-line form will be automatically routed to the appropriate internal approvers for review and endorsement. If you encounter problems, please consult the My Research - Application User Guide for additional information or contact the RAISE help desk (416-946-5000, RAISE@utoronto.ca).
The Weston Brain Institute is delighted to launch our Transformational Research: Canada 2018 Program to fund transformative, novel, high-risk, high-reward translational research projects with excellent preliminary data.
NEW for 2018
- Translational research using humans or human samples/data is in scope, except for clinical trials or clinical trial sub-studies which should be submitted to the Early-Phase Clinical Trials or Rapid Response programs.
- The Institute has updated which tools are in scope. Please see below and read our What We Fund webpage before applying to ensure your project is in scope.
Goal: To provide funding for translational research that will accelerate the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
Funding: A maximum of $1,500,000 over up to 3 years per project.
Applicant Eligibility: Eligible Principal Applicants must be researchers working in Canada at least 30% of the time at or above the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent, and be affiliated with a Canada Revenue Agency-qualified donee institution located in Canada. Co-Applicants/Collaborators must be at the post-doctoral level or above and can be working outside Canada.
Project Eligibility: Projects must meet the following conditions to be eligible:
- Be translational research, excluding clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies, that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
- Clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies should be submitted to the Early-Phase Clinical Trials or Rapid Response programs; however other translational research using humans or human samples/data is in scope.
- Be the development of a therapeutic and/or tool.
- Have excellent preliminary data to support the proposed project.
Disease Scope: All the Institute’s neurodegenerative diseases of aging are covered by this program (see What We Fund page).
Online System Open for Submission: Friday, September 22nd, 2017
Program Information Webinar: Wednesday, October 25th 2017, 1:00 pm EDT
Webinar Registration: Register Here
Letter of Intent Deadline: Thursday, December 7th 2017, 2:00 pm EST
There are two stages to the application process:
- Letters of Intent
An application for the Transformational Research program requires a Letter of Intent, and applicants with high potential projects are invited to submit a Proposal by mid-March 2017. Proposal instructions and feedback from our scientific review committee will be forwarded along with the invitation.
The Institute welcomes inquiries about this request for applications or any of our other funding opportunities. We would be pleased to hear from you at either email@example.com or +1 416-935-4056.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 978-5557
More Information for Researchers
- Genome Canada/Ontario Genomics Institute: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (B/CB) Funding Competition
- Mitacs: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
- Ericsson Canada: Ericsson Canada Request for Proposal – ICT and Networked Society
- Natural Resources Canada: Natural Resources Canada: New Clean Growth Program – Call for Letter of Interest
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): Ontario Centres of Excellence – Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) – Call for Applications (Second Round)